Black Cat Friendship Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Cat Friendship Forum

Black Cat - A Worldwide Friendship Forum for the whole family. Join, chat, post and make new friends at your Liberty!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christmas Around The World

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

Christmas Around The World Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 pm

As many of us are from different countries it thought it would be interesting if each one of us would share a Christmas tradition (or more) from his/her own country.
It can be anything from the Christmas meal, to the decoration, what you do for Christmas, etc...

thank you  for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Ember
Black Cat
Black Cat
Ember

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Do you have Christmas crackers? two people grab an end and you pull until it make a snap sound and inside is a paper crown hat, a joke and a little toy. You can get ones for adults that have keyrings..I made my own this year and put in fragrance samples... The crackers are only around 9 inches or a bit more or less. I know some people in America know what they are but other have no clue...maybe the area they come from

Christmas Around The World Cracke10

Christmas Around The World Indexg10

Turkey,Roast Potatoes, Mash potatoes, pigs in blankets/kilted sausages in Scotland (sausages wrapped in bacon) veg of some sort which people usually have brussel sprouts (we all hate them in our family) so we will have carrots and peas. then it's a trifle for dessert/sweet/afters
Christmas Around The World Christ11
Christmas Around The World Pcrzyk10
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 2:20 pm

thank you for sharing Ember! no i don't know anything about Christmas crackers but that sounds great! How do you make them?

it's too late now and i'm again worn out so i'll come back hopefully tomorrow and write about the tradition we have where i live :sanwin:
Back to top Go down
Ember
Black Cat
Black Cat
Ember

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 8:54 pm

When we were young the school would make us make them and we did for our kids when young...you would get the cardboard tube from some toilet roll/tissue and you would get some crepe paper (something that would rip easy), wrap it around the tube and twist and tie the ends...put a toy inside..

now you get packs where they are flat and you just roll them round and clip then, you get the little snap stick that makes the noise when you pull,a hat and joke and shiny string to tie it off at the ends...all you have to do is buy what you want inside. I bought fragrance samples (little tubes) a keyring..the kids are maraca keyrings..hubby has a harmonica keyring (he annoys us with playing one lol)
They fool you with how easy they look...let's just say that is was so awkward and hard to try and slot the parts in (they would rip) and it feels like you would need some sort or college degree to be able to build them.....I will be buying the ready made one next year
:chlau:

how to make them pack
Christmas Around The World Make_y10

the ones you get already premade that you can buy in the shops
Christmas Around The World Index_10
Back to top Go down
Elvisfan
Black Cat
Black Cat
Elvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 2:15 am

Wow Ember you made me feel hungry.
I hated those paper chains we made at school Christmas Around The World 111393790752719879B7ZKIq4fc
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 7:21 am

Thx Ember! i think it's a fun idea and i'll give it a try!!

@Elvisfan

yep, i remember making those homemade garlands! but i liked it back then... thing is i always love to do handcrafts!

Now, the Christmas traditions where i live:

Turkey is also the number one choice even if we have it on Thanksgiving day or others have a big roasted ham, corn bread, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberries, green beans, desert can be pumpkin pie or coconut cake, but also gingerbread man and/or houses, and other christmas shaped sugar cookies, chocolates...

BUT, it also depends of your origins and so for me and my family as our roots are in Sicily, a traditional Christmas dinner will be: a bunch of different seafood, like squid, octopus, scallops, mussels, etc...

Scallops with cream are my fav!

Christmas Around The World F668cf716008cceac281e586c5001652

we also get a good white wine to go with it, usually some salads for veggies, deserts includes a pignolata

Christmas Around The World Pignolata-siciliana

but we also have a "Christmas log"

Christmas Around The World Main-qimg-7c13492d407d08adcb03e951abce094d?convert_to_webp=true

as soon as i can load one mine to my picasa album i will post it as i make it a bit different than the one on the pic!

of course bunch of homemade cookies, with some cut out with Christmas cutter and also homemade chocolates like truffles.

my time is up for now, so i have to stop but i'll come back for more on our Christmas traditions! :chho:
Back to top Go down
Elvisfan
Black Cat
Black Cat
Elvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 am

We have the traditional English Christmas dinner

Christmas Around The World Christmas_dinner
The Christmas pudding
Christmas Around The World Traditional-Christmas-Pudding1
As I hate that I have trifle
Christmas Around The World Sherry-Trifle-Hero--b
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 1:51 pm

thanks for sharing Elvisfan! i've always wondered about the famous Christmas pudding! i've never tried it... i've never tried the trifle either but it does look yummy!!!! Could you share the recipe in our Kitchen sub-forum? (for the trifle  Smile )

Forgot to say that part of the tradition for us is to have bunch of different nuts to nibble! :canchase:
Back to top Go down
Ember
Black Cat
Black Cat
Ember

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 pm

nuts...tangerines...chocolate coins
I always buy the coins and hide the mesh packs in the tree...I didn't get any of the white choc silver ones this year..I had fun hiding them...had a tree light burn my scalp and knocked baubles off

Christmas Around The World Coinsc10

Christmas Around The World White_10
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 pm

oh i remember those!!! i used to have some when i was young!

now part of our Christmas traditions includes to play games... board games, card games, i always loved it while growing up so i kept it alive for my kids and played with them! my sister does the same with her family. This year again we will get the games on the table, and play while munching on nuts, cookies, chocolates! :basandan: and listening to some Christmas :carols:

besides enjoying a good meal, what do you do on Christmas Eve?
Back to top Go down
Millie_Me
Black Cat
Black Cat
Millie_Me

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 2:27 pm

'In Canada' we slaughter our firstborn on Christmas eve, and on Christmas day we enjoy the silence! :rollaugh:  

I think Canadian traditions are pretty much the same as the U.S. :sanfudance:
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 6:19 am

Millie_Me wrote:
'In Canada' we slaughter our firstborn on Christmas eve, and on Christmas day we enjoy the silence! :rollaugh:  

:chlau: laughtears Thx Millie, with you i'm sure to always have a good laugh for the day! lucky

I don't know much about Canada besides that it is sooooooo gorgeous! i think for whatever reasons the Turkey is a big classic in every country... probably because they are so readily available in the nature during that time of the year Christmas Around The World Canstock11446963
Back to top Go down
Millie_Me
Black Cat
Black Cat
Millie_Me

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 6:56 am

LadySibella wrote:
Millie_Me wrote:

LadySibella wrote:
:chlau: laughtears  Thx Millie, with you i'm sure to always have a good laugh for the day! lucky

:chlau: laughtears    Thx Bella!    

LadySibella wrote:
I don't know much about Canada besides that it is sooooooo gorgeous!
  This ferry is departing for Vancouver Isle from Horseshoe Bay

Christmas Around The World JourneytotheIsleofVancouverJPG

LadySibella wrote:
i think for whatever reasons the Turkey is a big classic in every country... probably because they are so readily available in the nature during that time of the year Christmas Around The World Canstock11446963
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 am

oh wow this is sooo beautiful! i love mountains with snow caps on top of that!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Lakshmi
Admin
Admin
Lakshmi

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 10:05 am

Millie_Me wrote:

I think Canadian traditions are pretty much the same as the U.S. :sanfudance:

laughtears laughtears

oh my...so funny that!

well same here, hardly ever keep up with traditional meals though..more of a rare & ultra good - delicious deal Crying or Very sad

never ever did turkey for Christmas, cause anyway it's already been on on thanksgiving Crying or Very sad why do it again?
of course that makes 2 murders in a short time. talk about thrills on both sides

LadySibella wrote:
i think for whatever reasons the Turkey is a big classic in every country... probably because they are so readily available in the nature during that time of the year

Crying or Very sad

how about oranges?
Back to top Go down
Millie_Me
Black Cat
Black Cat
Millie_Me

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 11:24 am

Lakshmi wrote:

of course that makes 2 murders in a short time. talk about thrills on both sides
laughtears

Christmas Around The World Goodmo10

LadySibella wrote:
i think for whatever reasons the Turkey is a big classic in every country... probably because they are so readily available in the nature during that time of the year
We're not goin' out huntin' fer the friggin things, Bella! laughtears  ...THE GROCERY STORE HAS THEM!  laughtears  
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Millie_Me wrote:
We're not goin' out huntin' fer the friggin things, Bella! laughtears ...THE GROCERY STORE HAS THEM! laughtears

:rollaugh: here comes my first laugh of the day! and it's 4:33 am laughtears best way to start my day!
Back to top Go down
Lakshmi
Admin
Admin
Lakshmi

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 10:42 am

Millie_Me wrote:
Lakshmi wrote:

laughtears

Christmas Around The World Goodmo10

LadySibella wrote:
We're not goin' out huntin' fer the friggin things, Bella! laughtears  ...THE GROCERY STORE HAS THEM!  laughtears  

laughtears laughtears laughtears certainly saves the trouble of chasing them!

maybe one day they will be carrying guns!
Christmas Around The World Blog-turkey-guns
Back to top Go down
Millie_Me
Black Cat
Black Cat
Millie_Me

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Lakshmi wrote:

maybe one day they will be carrying guns!
Christmas Around The World Blog-turkey-guns
laughtears
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 am

ok now seriously, when do you open your gifts on Christmas Eve or Christmas day?

while growing up we were getting our gifts late on Christmas Eve but once i started my own family i was for opening the gifts on Christmas day :opgift:
Back to top Go down
Lakshmi
Admin
Admin
Lakshmi

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 2:44 am

well, i do Christmas Day opening gifts too...it just makes more sense. but i don't wait for nighttime to do so though.
Back to top Go down
LadySibella
Admin
Admin
LadySibella

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 1:21 am

Christmas morning is a good time for that, i know someone who opens them on Christmas day but after the meal... that's too late for me! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Around The World   Christmas Around The World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas Around The World
Page 1 of 1